Beam Me Up?

So Jesus finishes the day with the five thousand, and the disciples go ahead and leave without Him. The head across the lake to Capernaum, which is a fair distance. They are rowing hard, and don't forget, many of them are experienced fisherman. They are about 3 1/2 miles into the trip, working at it, in a storm. Then Jesus catches up to them, walking on the water. I don't know if this implies that they were making no speed at all in the boat, and Jesus caught them. Or it may be saying that He "transported" to the middle of the lake, and appeared to them.

Either way, they are freaked out, like anyone would be. Especially at this time in history, where lore and legend is a way of life. Jesus just tells them to stop being afraid, and the take Him in.

Then, immediately, they find themselves at the other shore. Again, not real clear. Could be they were almost there, and didn't catch it in the storm? Possible, but not likely. It seems to be more pointing to another issue of being "transported" from the middle of the lake to the other side. (It's 8 miles wide at it's widest point).

So, we have this story of Jesus walking on water, possibly transporting Himself through time and space, as well as possibly transporting a boat full of disciples. Why?

It is just to be cool? Is Jesus showboating? :)

I doubt it. He can do way cooler stuff than this to show off. There's a point to the story. It might be a reminder that when we feel out on our own, in rough waters, Jesus can show up when and how He wants to. It's no problem for Him. And He can pull us right out of it when and where He wants to. Equally no problem. So if we are in a storm, we really shouldn't be afraid (the only words He says in the story). We are okay, no matter how seasick we feel.

That's good news for me. Life is often stormy. But it doesn't have to be scary.

What do you guys think? Comment back and let me know.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok so I am a little behind on reading your blogs but I do read them and I heres what I think on this one:

I really like this one. it makes a lot of sense. I just don't understand how I can be so blind a not notice him when he does show up. I think I just need to learn to look harder at things I tend to be a bit oblivious(sp)at times.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Running for Home