Pretty as a Pile of Rocks

In Exodus 20, we've got the 10 Commandments.  My youngest daughter and I have been working on memorizing them.  (It's her doing it, she's just that cool.)  After the 10 Commandments, I read something that hit me in a new way.

24 “ ‘Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you.25 If you make an altar of stones for me, do not build it with dressed stones, for you will defile it if you use a tool on it.

I love this!  God says that we can build an altar to offer sacrifices on.  BUT, we can't try to engrave it or dress it up.  Why?  Because we'll defile it if we do.  We can make a pile of rocks to offer Him our best on, but don't mess with the rocks.  He made them.  They can't be improved on. 

You see, what we think is beautiful and what God knows is beautiful rarely lines up.  Often our beautiful things are more about us than about beauty.  We want to be seen or heard or known, so we create to accomplish that.  But He says that what He has done is beautiful.  Don't mess with it.  Go ahead and pile the rocks up, but don't try to dress them up.  Just spend time with Him.  The rocks are fine like they are.


How many times do we begin to give God some part of our life, our time, our schedule, our personality, but then we stop because we need to "make it better" before we bring it to Him?  He wants our best, but understand, if He made it, that's enough.  Give Him what we have, and don't mess with His side of it.  God created your intelligence, offer it back instead of telling Him you aren't smart enough.  God created your beauty, don't tell Him you aren't yet pretty enough.  God created your personality, don't tell Him you aren't gifted enough yet.  Don't mess with the rocks, just build an alter and trust that He sees the real beauty that we miss.


I just love that picture.  


It's beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Running for Home