Book Review of "Fasting" by Scot McKnight

Fasting by Scott McKnight


In Fasting, Scot walks the reader through a newer, more comprehensive understanding of what it means to fast as a Christian.  When most of the Western world ignores fasting, he contends it's often because we don't understand what the Bible is calling for in a fast.  If you've ever wondered about fasting at all, Scot's book is a great read.

After reading the book, I have a lot to think about.  I've actually read it fairly slowly, because I wanted to process all that Scot gives in his writing.  Basically, he states that fasting is misunderstood by many of us, and if we can see what it is and why we should fast in a clearer way, we would be more likely to integrate it into our lives.  I agree.  He writes in a straight forward, clear style which is fairly easy to follow.  It's what I would consider a college level writing style.  He offers a lot of Biblical and historical support for his ideas, and they are used in a fair, valid way which keeps them in context.  It's not what I would consider entertaining reading, but it is not intended to be.  It is well written for the type of book Scot set out to write.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do as a response to this.  Obviously, I need to reconsider my understanding of fasting.  I also need to incorporate it into my patterns of life.  It's a gentle book with a compelling argument, and it convicted me in some surprising ways.

If you want to understand fasting in a more comprehensive manner, I'd recommend picking it up and reading it.

You can find the book here.


NOTE: I was provided this book for free in order to review it.  That has not affected my review, but you do need to know it just the same.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Running for Home